I was asked recently by one of my subscribers about interviewing music artists on their radio show and what kind of questions they should ask. As a result, I compiled a list of interview questions for music artists that could be used as a starting point.
For me the key to interviews is to treat each person as an individual, so not too many generic questions that they will have answered hundreds of times before. Ask open questions that will encourage detailed and honest answers. Be ready to adapt – it’s okay to have a list of questions you want to ask, but if one of their answers takes things on a bit of a tangent, go with it. Finally, make sure you do your research beforehand. The interview will likely go much better if it seems like you are taking a genuine interest in the artist.
18 interview questions to get you started
- What first got you into music?
- Who inspired you to make music?
- How would you describe the music that you typically create?
- What is your creative process like?
- Who would you most like to collaborate with?
- If you could go open a show for any artist who would it be?
- What is one message you would give to your fans?
- What is the most useless talent you have?
- Do you sing in the shower? What songs?
- What would you be doing right now, if it wasn’t for your music career?
- Where have you performed? What are your favourite and least favourite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?
- How do you feel the Internet has impacted the music business?
- What is your favourite song to perform?
- Which famous musicians do you admire?
- What is the most trouble you’ve ever gotten into?
- What is the best advice you’ve been given?
- If you could change anything about the industry, what would it be?
- What’s next for you?
Hopefully these example questions give you some inspiration for your own interviews. Let me know in the comments what your own favourite interview questions for music artists are.