Today I want to share with you my own radio show preparation checklist that I mentioned in this post yesterday. I maintain the checklist as a Microsoft Excel spread-sheet and have notes to explain what some of the items on the list mean.
Sign up to my mailing list and I will send you a copy of the checklist for free!
I have developed the checklist I use over a long period of time and update it regularly as my equipment and workflow changes.
Hopefully most of the items are self explanatory but I have described below some of the key activities:
- Basic Show Information
- Make sure you know the start time and length of your show
- Find out which DJs are on before and after you
- Find out what events your station is currently promoting
- Show Preparation
- I have discussed this in a previous post.Â The amount of content preparation you do will vary depending on the type of show you present.
- I look for topical stories, birthdays, deathsÂ etc.
- Song selection will be a key activity in preparing for music-based shows but also remember to allow time to prepare your music files using tools such as Mixed In Key and/or Serato if you are a digital DJ
- Social Media
- I used to forget to advertise my shows in advance and this can definitely affect audience figures
- Having a plan for posting to social media sites will ensure the maximum number of people are aware that your show is taking place
- Technical Setup
- The steps will be very dependent on the hardware and software you use so just use my list as a guide
- In Show Reminders
- This is mostly about monitoring social media channels for messages related to your show
- After The Show
- Hopefully you are able to record your show and can upload it to a site like Soundcloud or Mixcloud. It’s easy to forget to do this in a timely manner.
- Once the show is over I always try to make time to review my performance, listening again to the show and thinking about how it went.
The detailed items in your own radio show preparation checklist will of course vary and will need to be tailored for the specific hardware and software you use and the type of show you present. I hope that you will find my example helpful as you develop your own checklist.
Get The Checklist
Sign-up for my mailing list using the form below and you will receive the PDF file automatically: